Spaghetti and Meatballs. This Spaghetti and Meatball recipe from Delish.com proves everything is better homemade. Spaghetti and meatballs is such a comfort food classic! The meatballs are made from ground beef and Italian sausage, served with a sauce with mushrooms, onions, basil, and Parmesan.
I don't think there is any doubt that caramelized onions taste better than raw onions, the question is whether the extra effort is worth it. How to Make Spaghetti and Meatballs. There are three parts in making it. You can cook Spaghetti and Meatballs using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spaghetti and Meatballs
- It’s 1 of shallot.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 500 g of lean ground beef.
- It’s 1 of large egg.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground oregano.
- You need 1 tsp of ground basil.
- It’s 3 slices of white or whole wheat bread.
- You need 1 tsp of sea salt.
- You need 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of tomato paste.
- You need 1 of large (28 oz) can whole tomatoes.
- You need 1 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 1 lb of dry spaghetti noodles.
- Prepare 1 of large handful fresh basil, roughly chopped.
- It’s 1 of large handful fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped.
The first is to make the meatballs, next is to prepare the sauce, and lastly is to cook the spaghetti. Never eating spaghetti and meatballs again in my life would be pretty devasted. Remove the meatballs when they're brown on the outside but not done on the inside. Make these classic spaghetti and meatballs for a comforting family dinner.
Spaghetti and Meatballs step by step
- Pulse the shallot and 3 cloves garlic in a food processor until they're finely minced. Add them to a large mixing bowl along with the beef, egg, ground oregano and ground basil..
- Dip 2 slices of bread in cold water. Squeeze the water out and crumble the wet bread into the meat mixture. Rip the third slice of bread into small pieces and add it too. Add 1 tsp salt and several grinds of black pepper, then knead everything together until well-combined..
- Put a large pan on medium-high heat. Use your hands to form balls from the meat mixture, about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. You should end up with about 12 meatballs. Add a splash of veg oil to the pan and brown the meatballs evenly. It should take around 5 to 7 minutes..
- Remove the meatballs and set them aside. Clean any burned bits and excess oil from the pan, then add a fresh splash of veg oil, the onions and pepper flakes. Fry until the onions soften, about 1or 2 minutes. Cut the remaining 3 cloves of garlic into thin slivers and add them to the pan. Continue frying another 1 minute..
- Stir the tomato paste into the pan. Let cook 2 to 3 minutes then add 1 cup water. Add the can of whole tomatoes, juice and all. Crush the tomatoes by hand as you drop them in. Stir in the sugar. Return the meatballs to the pan. Cover and turn the heat down to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes, remembering to gently turn the meatballs over every so often. Check the seasoning and add extra salt and pepper to taste..
- While the sauce continues simmering, cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. When the noodles are almost cooked, add the basil and parsley to the sauce. Toss the noodles with the sauce and top with plenty of freshly grated parmesan cheese when serving..
Also check out more delicious meatball recipes, such as our baked Italian meatballs. If you make larger meatballs, you may need to cook them a little longer, lowering the heat to prevent burning. Sprinkle with more Parmesan and serve with some basil (if using) and remaining sauce alongside for topping. For a great spaghetti and meatball recipe you need a simple tomato sauce with lots of flavour. This one is a store cupboard saviour.